Unless you are the lucky devil who has found a magic skincare regime that defies your rock and roll lifestyle (by this we mean daily caffeine/sugar fixes, weekend wine binges, getting high on traffic fumes), it’s time to consider what’s going on inside your body.
The skin provides a window into how our internal organs deal with the toxins we throw at them. Supporting these organs by achieving excellent digestive health and topping up on ‘super-antioxidants’ will improve the skin’s function and keep it looking young. OVIO Daily Antioxidant Plus contains a very skin-friendly concoction of potent extracts that aid detoxification, improve digestion and fight bacteria.
Toxins and skin
We are all exposed to toxins via our food, medications, chemicals (in cosmetics, cleaning products, etc.) and environmental factors including pollution and UV rays. An overload can mean our detoxification and elimination systems – the liver and the gut – start to struggle. In this instance, the skin works as a secondary detoxification organ, so more toxins can be excreted via our pores, which can lead to congestion and redness. Toxins also cause free radical damage to the fibres that support the skin structure, which will show as wrinkles, age spots, and other imperfections.
Bite back with antioxidants
Antioxidants are used by the body to neutralise free radicals (unstable particles that attack the body’s cells) and protect us from their potential damage. In this way, antioxidants maintain the structure, tone and are powerfully anti-ageing for the skin. It’s been proven that the olive leaf extract in OVIO Daily Antioxidant Plus has the highest capacity for neutralising free radicals compared with 54 other medicinal herbs, and more than twice the effect of green tea.
As any nutritionist will tell you, it’s important to work on the digestion to ensure the nutrients you eat are being well broken down and absorbed, so they can get on with nourishing and energising your entire body. One way to stimulate the production of digestive juices in the stomach and gut is to eat or drink something bitter, think peppery rocket leaves with a squeeze of lemon juice at the beginning of a meal, or drinking a shot of OVIO, since olive leaf is an extremely effective bitter herb. Another benefit to olive leaf extract is that it is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral, meaning it will fight any imbalance of gut bacteria, helping to restore a positive environment for nutrient absorption.
- Eat a rainbow of brightly coloured fruits and vegetables every day, e.g. greens (salad leaves, cabbage, broccoli), oranges (sweet potato, squash, peppers), reds (berries, tomatoes), pinks (watermelon, papaya), purple (grapes), etc.
- Vitamin E rich foods will nourish and protect skin, go for sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, avocado, almonds and green vegetables.
- Include essential fats found in oily fish, nuts and seeds, which help to keep skin supple.
- Switch to organic foods to avoid pesticides and preservatives. If you’re not ready to go 100% organic, select a couple of foods that you most frequently eat, and switch those over.
- Reduce refined foods and sugar which affect the skin matrix, causing it to wrinkle and sag.
- Reduce tea, coffee and alcohol, which put extra load on the liver.
- Boost your ‘super-antioxidant’ intake with a daily shot of OVIO Daily Antioxidant Plus olive leaf infusion, adding herbs and spices to your cooking (especially turmeric), drinking green tea and the odd glass of red wine.